Student Safety at RYLA
The RYLA conference is coed, but the dorms are not. Boys and girls stay in separate rooms on separate floors. Rotarians/adults are onduty monitoring the halls after the final evening room check, and all night long.
The RYLA information desk, located in the student center, is staffed for the entire time that the students are awake.
Nighttime in the Dorms
- The dorms are accessible via card key access only.
- At quiet time all students are in the dorms. We conduct a room to room search to ensure that every student is in their assigned bed before we go to bed each night.
- Students are instructed to stay in their rooms unless there is an emergency.
- At quiet time/lights out, each floor floor has a dedicated hall monitor that sits awake in the hall by the stairs & elevator. This person can see all doors on that floor.
- The entire time students are at RYLA, they are chaperoned by their group facilitator. Most activities are confined to one building.
- Students are not permitted to leave their groups and they are not allowed to roam the campus without their group facilitator.
- The RYLA schedule is very full and students are not allowed to go for a run or to exercise independently.
- While we hope that emergencies never arise while at RYLA, our Facilitators have been instructed how to respond. On the back of each student's name card is their medical information.
Emergency Contact Info:
How to reach your student at RYLA
We hope that parents/guardians will not need to reach us, however if an EMERGENCY should arise, here are the following contacts:
- Skip Doyle 508-769-1960
- Pat Doyle 508-769-1555
- FSU Campus, main number (978) 665-3000
Please Note: Pat or Skip may be facilitating a session and will respond to you ASAP.
Our sessions are mostly located in the Student center. The RYLA information desk, located in the student center, is staffed for the entire time that the students are awake.
- The University Police Department's main priority is to provide the safest and secure environment possible for the students, faculty, staff and visitors that comprise the institution's community. We believe that safety is everyone's responsibility and encourage our students, faculty and staff to engage in community policing and report any suspicious activity to University Police.
- PARTICIPANTS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO HAVE A VEHICLE ON CAMPUS DURING THE CONFERENCE
- Although many RYLA students choose to be driven to and from the conference by a family member, the Rotary Club that sponsors student's attendance is prepared to assist with transportation if necessary.
- Students may bring their cell phones. They will be asked to leave them in their dorm room during the day.
- NO TEXTING/CELL PHONE USE is allowed during the daytime, unless there is an emergency.
Statement of Conduct for Working with Youth
Rotary International strives to create and maintain a safe environment for all youth who participate in Rotary activities. To the best of their ability, Rotarians, Rotarians’ spouses and partners, and other volunteers must safeguard the children and young people they come into contact with and protect them from physical, sexual, and emotional abuse.
If you have questions that aren’t answered here, please Contact Us.